Imagine a warm, creamy bowl of broccoli cheddar soup that is not only delicious but also healthier and more affordable than what you can get at Panera. Well, stop imagining and start cooking because this 30 Minute Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe is your answer! Packed with nutritious ingredients like carrots, broccoli, garlic, and cheese, this velvety soup is guaranteed to satisfy your cravings in no time. With simple instructions and easy-to-find ingredients, you can whip up this scrumptious soup in under 30 minutes, making it perfect for a quick and comforting meal. Whether you choose to serve it with some toasted crusty bread or in a bread bowl, this soup is bound to become your new favorite.
Created by Gimme Delicious, this video recipe provides a step-by-step guide to making the ultimate Broccoli Cheddar Soup. From melting butter to adding chopped onions, minced garlic, and flour, each ingredient adds another layer of flavor to this delightful dish. Simmered with chicken stock, broccoli florets, and grated carrots, the soup becomes even more luscious and nutritious. And the best part? Stir in some half & half and cheddar cheese, and voila! Your mouthwatering broccoli cheddar soup is ready to be enjoyed. So why wait? Grab your ingredients, follow the recipe, and get ready to indulge in a bowl of this sensational soup.
To make this delicious broccoli cheddar soup, you’ll need a few essential tools in your kitchen. Here’s a list of equipment you should gather before getting started:
- Large Dutch oven or pot: This will be used to cook the soup on the stovetop. Make sure it’s big enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Whisk: You’ll need a whisk to mix the flour into the soup and ensure there are no lumps.
- Cutting board and knife: These are necessary for chopping the onion, garlic, broccoli, and carrot.
- Grater: If you choose to grate the carrot, you’ll need a grater to achieve the desired texture.
- Measuring cups and spoons: Accurate measurements are crucial in cooking, so make sure you have the appropriate measuring tools.
- Ladle: This will come in handy when serving the soup.
Make sure you have all these items ready before you start cooking to ensure a smooth and enjoyable cooking experience.
To make this broccoli cheddar soup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 3 cups broccoli florets or 1 large head, cut into small pieces
- 1 large carrot, grated, julienned, or finely chopped
- 2 cups half & half or milk or light or heavy cream
- 8 oz block grated cheddar cheese or 2 cups (mild, medium, or sharp)
Make sure you have all these ingredients on hand before you begin cooking. If you’re missing anything, take a quick trip to the grocery store to get what you need.
Before you start cooking, it’s important to prepare all your ingredients. This will make the cooking process smoother and more efficient. Here’s what you need to do:
- Chop the onion: Take the half medium onion and chop it into small pieces. Make sure to remove the outer skin before chopping.
- Mince the garlic: Peel the garlic cloves and mince them finely. This will give the soup a strong and delicious flavor.
- Cut the broccoli and carrot: If you’re using whole broccoli, cut off the florets and discard the stem. Cut the florets into small pieces. For the carrot, you can either grate it, julienne it, or finely chop it, depending on your preference.
- Grate the cheddar cheese: If you’re using a block of cheddar cheese, grate it using a cheese grater. This will ensure it melts evenly in the soup.
- Measure the other ingredients: Use your measuring cups and spoons to measure out the butter, flour, chicken stock, salt, pepper, nutmeg (if using), and half & half or cream.
Once you have completed all the prep work, you’re ready to start cooking!
1. Melt the butter
Place the large Dutch oven or pot on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Add the butter and let it melt completely. Swirl the pot to ensure the butter coats the bottom surface evenly. Melted butter will give the soup a rich and smooth texture.
2. Cook the onion and garlic
Add the chopped onion to the pot with the melted butter and cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until the onions are softened and light gold in color. Stir occasionally to prevent them from burning.
Next, add the minced garlic to the pot and sauté for another minute. This will release the aromatic flavors of the garlic and enhance the overall taste of the soup.
3. Add the flour
Sprinkle the all-purpose flour over the onion and garlic mixture in the pot. Use a whisk to stir it continuously for 1-2 minutes or until the flour begins to turn golden in color. This step is important as it helps thicken the soup and gives it a smooth consistency.
4. Pour in the chicken stock
Slowly pour the low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock into the pot, whisking continuously. This will prevent any lumps from forming and ensure the flour is evenly incorporated into the soup. Continue whisking until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
5. Add the broccoli, carrots, and seasoning
Now it’s time to add the star ingredients of the soup – the broccoli and carrots. Add the broccoli florets and grated carrot to the pot, along with the kosher salt, black pepper, and ground nutmeg (if using). These seasonings will enhance the flavors of the vegetables and make the soup more delicious.
6. Simmer for 15 minutes
Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the broccoli and carrots are cooked through. Simmering allows all the flavors to meld together and creates a hearty and comforting soup.
Congratulations! You’ve just made a delicious and creamy broccoli cheddar soup. The combination of the tender broccoli, flavorful carrots, and rich cheddar cheese creates a velvety texture and a burst of flavors in every bite.
This homemade version of the soup is even better than what you can find at Panera, and the best part is that it can be made in under 30 minutes. Plus, it doesn’t break the bank, as it costs only a fraction of the price.
Serve your soup with a side of toasted crusty bread or in a bread bowl for an extra special touch. The warm, comforting flavors of this soup make it perfect for chilly days or when you simply crave a comforting bowl of goodness.
So why wait? Gather your ingredients, follow these simple instructions, and enjoy a bowl of homemade broccoli cheddar soup that will leave you wanting more. Happy cooking!